Our 5 Favorite Family-Friendly Recipes
back to all blog posts
Maureen Witmer, Director of Outreach, TakeThemAMeal.com on Apr 7, 2017
There are many things to consider when choosing what meal to make and take to a friend. Are there any allergies? Is the meal well balanced? How much many servings should I plan on making? How will it transport?
One of the biggest things I think about is "Will everyone in the family enjoy this meal?" And sometimes the harshest critics are the smallest ones - kids! Here are our 5 favorite family-friendly recipes to consider the next time you're taking a meal to a family with children. These tested recipes are sure to please everyone at the table.
1. Mac and Cheese - Of course Mac and Cheese is at the top of our list! Who doesn’t love creamy, cheesey pasta?! This recipe is done in a crock pot, making preparation easy. Serve with a fruit salad and roasted vegetables to keep the meal balanced.
2. Oven Baked Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard Dip - Most kids love crispy chicken but most parents don't love that they are fried. Problem solved with these oven baked chicken fingers! The honey mustard dip doubles as a delicious dressing so serve with a spinach salad and applesauce.
3. Mexican Chicken (aka - the easiest meal ever!) - You can't go wrong with this recipe. Not only is it yummy, it also takes less than 5 minutes to prepare! And it's super versatile. Add it to rice, tacos, or even pasta. Adding a bag of tortilla chips provides some crunch.
4. Vegetable Calzones - Folded over pizza dough, stuffed with cheese and veggies? Yes, please! If you have a can of pizza dough, mozzarella cheese, 1 egg, and some veggies in your refrigerator, you have the makings of a super easy and delicious dinner. We love this vegetarian meal because it's healthy and totally customizable. Use any (kid approved!) veggies you have on hand.
5. Tacos - If all kids are like mine, they could eat tacos almost every day of the week and be happy. These cilantro-lime chicken tacos are a nice, fresh twist of the traditional beef taco. Serve with hard or soft shells, corn and bean salad, and tortilla chips.
Read other recent articles by Maureen Witmer: